Sunday, August 3, 2014

Gluten-Free Low-Carb Flour Mixes



This is a gluten free low carb baking mix that I have been working on. I am happy with the results so far. It has worked well for quick breads, brownies, cookies, pancakes and just today I made a pretty good loaf of bread using this mix as a base. I plan to keep tweaking it until I get it just right! Just today, I ordered 10 bags of oat bran to experiment with as well. I hope to be able to cut back on the almond meal by substituting finely ground oat bran for half of the amount. Almond meal ain't cheap! I will keep you posted with my results!


*Update. A new and improved version of my Gluten-Free Low-Carb Flour Mix follows this recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup finely ground almonds (blanched almonds make a lighter colored mix) (12 carbs)
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (33 carbs)
  • 1/4 cup unflavored whey protein (0 carbs) or rice protein (5 carbs) (rice protein results a darker mix)
  • 1/4 cup sorghum or millet flour (22 carbs)
Combine all of the ingredients in an airtight container. Since this mix contains ground almonds, it should be stored in the fridge to maintain freshness. This flour mix contains 33.5 net carbs per cup.

Gluten-Free Low-Carb Flour Mix #2:
  • 3/4 cup almond meal (3 oz) (9 carbs)
  • 3/4 cup oat bran flour (finely ground oat bran) (34.5 carbs)
  • 1/4 cup sorghum or millet flour (22 carbs)
  • 1/4 cup unflavored whey protein (0 carbs, check your label)
This revised flour mix has 33 carbs per cup and is lighter in texture due to the reduced almond meal. I was able to reduce the almond meal and keep the carb count the same by using oat bran in place of oat flour.

Gluten-Free Low-Carb Flour Mix #3:
  • 3/4 cup almond meal (3 oz) (9 carbs)
  • 1/2 cup oat bran flour (23 carbs)
  • 1/2 cup Hi-Maize Resistant Starch (20 carbs)
  • 1/4 cup whey protein (0 carbs, check your label)
This mix is even lighter in texture and color than Mix #2. It is perfect for cakes, pancakes, scones, ets...
It has 26 carbs per cup thanks to the Hi-Maize Resistant Starch.




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!