Sunday, August 3, 2014

Gluten-Free Low-Carb Chia Bread



Here is my first attempt at gluten free low carb bread. I must say, for a first go around, it's pretty good! It has a pleasant, nutty, whole grain flavor. This recipe could be a base for "not rye" bread as well. This recipe contains a 1/4 cup ground psyllium, therefore I didn't need to use any gums. I also used a gluten-free low-carb baking mix that I have been working on. I plan on tweaking it until I get it just right.
Just today, I ordered 10 bags of oat bran to experiment with. I hope to replace the ground chia/flax or part of the almond meal with it, hopefully it will give this bread a more neutral flavor for those who don't care for rich tasting breads. I will be posting my results in a few days. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of my Gluten-Free Low-Carb Baking Mix
  • 1 cup ground chia or flax
  • 1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
  • 1/4 cup rice protein (or more whey protein)
  • 1/4 cup ground psyllium
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar or ascorbic acid (pure Vit C powder)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons oil or melted butter

Preheat your oven to 375F
Spray a standard sized loaf pan with non-stick spray.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, add all of the dry ingredients (except yeast) mix briefly. Combine the warm water and yeast in a measuring cup and stir to dissolve. Add the oil/butter and eggs and whisk to incorporate. With your mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients.
icon
I love my Cuisinart Stand Mixer! I have had this one for a couple years now and can't imagine trying to make gluten free bread dough without it. Click on the photo above to find this one and other brands at Chef's Catalog!
icon

Mix just to combine and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and let run for 3-4 minutes. The dough should look like the photo below.

Scrape the dough into your prepared pan and smooth the top with wet hands. Place the pan in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack until it reaches room temperature before slicing.

Allow to cool completely before you store it, preferably in a breadbox or cake keeper. I will let you know how the oat bran works in this recipe as well. I hope you enjoy this bread!


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!