Friday, August 22, 2014

Fried Zucchini Circles



Not many recipes inspire me to deep fry, I hate the clean up! But I made an exception for this one! I saw this recipe on The Pioneer Woman's website a couple days ago. Since I have an abundance of zucchini coming from my garden right now, I had to try to make a gluten-free version of it. Don't they look amazing? I used my all-purpose gluten-free flour mix in this recipe and ground-up gluten-free veggie flavored crackers instead of using bread crumbs. If I had it at the time, I would have used a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dips mix instead of the gluten-free flour and mixed Parmesan cheese into the cracker crumbs, it sounds so good doesn't it?! These little babies were so easy to make too! I will definitely be making these again! Thanks Ree! I love your show too!


Ingredients:

  • oil for frying
  • 1 good sized zucchini or 2 small ones
  • 1/3 cup gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Mix
  • 1/3 cup milk or dairy free substitute
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add about 1/2 inch or so of oil.
Slice your zucchini about 1/4 inch thick and set aside. Put the milk, all-purpose flour and bread crumbs or cracker crumbs in 3 separate dishes. 

Dredge each zucchini slice in the flour, then dip into the milk and finally into the bread/cracker crumbs, patting it on there good. Set them aside until your oil is hot enough. You will have batter coated fingers at this point but these are worth it!

When the oil is sizzling hot, but not smoking, place several of the zucchini slices into the pan. Cook for a minute or two until they are golden brown. 

Flip them over and fry the second side. 

Remove them from the hot oil and place onto a wire rack lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Lightly sprinkle them with salt and pepper if you so choose. 


Continue frying until they are all done. 

These would be yummy dipped into Honey Mustard or Ranch dressing. Ree recommends a sweet sauce made with apricot preserves, pineapple juice, soy sauce and dry mustard. Enjoy this delicious little snack! They are sooo good!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!