Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Gluten Free English Muffins





I love English muffins with cream cheese and jelly. Almost like cheesecake for breakfast! I've made my own gluten free muffins before in an attempt to save money, store bought gluten free items are so expensive! While they were pretty good, the flavor was lacking something. I didn't know what that something was until I stumbled upon a blog yesterday called, Beijing Survival Guide. The author, Sarah, added yogurt to her recipe, brilliant! Why hadn't I thought of that?
I was very excited and determined to transform her recipe into a delicious gluten free version. The yogurt adds that little something extra I was looking for. I can imagine these would be even better if the dough was proofed overnight in the fridge. My next endeavor is to make sourdough English muffins. Stay posted for that recipe. No more expensive store bought English muffins for me. I used my Multi-Grain flour mix and gluten free oat flour but feel free to use an all-purpose mix or your favorite flour blend. I plan to adjust this recipe a little to create those nooks and crannies. A dough with a higher hydration should do the trick. I will shoot for a thick cake batter consistency next time by omitting the oat flour all together. I will update this recipe when I get it just right, but these are delicious as is.

Thank you Sarah for your wonderful recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups of a gluten free Multi-Grain flour mix or All-Purpose flour mix
  • 1/3 cup gluten free oat, buckwheat, millet, teff or white bean flour
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon ground chia or more xanthan
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • cornmeal for sprinkling
  • oil
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer. In a separate bowl or measuring cup add the water, yeast, yogurt or sour cream and egg, whisk well.

Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a smooth dough forms, it will be very sticky.


Let the dough rest for 20 minutes to hydrate the flours and firm up a little.
Divide the dough into 6-8 equal sized pieces and place on an oiled piece of plastic wrap.


Sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet and then oil muffin rings and place them onto the sheet.


Using oiled hands, shape each piece of dough into a smooth ball and place one in each ring.
Flatten each ball into a disk that fills the rings completely. Sprinkle the surface with cornmeal and place in a warm place to rise for 20 minutes.


During the last 5 minutes of rise time, heat a heavy skillet over medium heat or an electric skillet to 375F. Oil the skillet, then using a spatula, carefully transfer the muffins, rings and all to the skillet.


Cook for 8 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Carefully flip them over and using tongs, remove the hot rings.
Continue to cook for another 8 minutes.
Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.


Once cool, insert a fork deeply around the perimeter of the muffin and gently pull apart.




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!